Saturday, January 10, 2009

Farm Show Week

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!
The Pennsylvania Farm Show opens up in Harrisburg, PA today. http://www.farmshow.state.pa.us/farmshow/site/default.asp Not that I'm going. I don't do crowds these days. But I enjoy watching the news to see the various events. And one of the local channels always does a longer show from there.



The kids who raise animals for sale at the show are wonderful to see & hear. Last night they were shown grooming their cows, sheep, goats, etc. These animals are extremely pampered. I'm not sure when the judging began, but it's been going on all week. Which means these kids get a 2 week pass on school. Plus the recent 10 Christmas vacation. I'll bet they are studying in between brushing down their livestock. There were some very nice interviews which give me hope for the future. A girl was explaining why she raises an animal that she will have to give up. She gave a great brief talk on how it has enriched her and taught her that she has to work for what she gets. That no prizes are just handed to you because you are cute. She said she'd rather win a farm show blue ribbon than be a prom queen. Wow. Then, there was the boy, grinning ear to ear, who proudly showed off his animal. He said that a lot of people his age are into sports. But he'd rather be on the farm raising his animals and working the fields. He was adorable. They both were.



And here we are going into the middle of January 2009 already. Did you have a good time? I had a great, fun Christmas at with the Garland clan and our various satellites. We had 2 of those this years. One was Olivia's current boyfriend, Harry. The other was Missy's roommate, Dave. I call them satellites because these are people who may or may not be there next year. Not family or even SO. Sometimes they are friends who had no place to go. So, we embrace them into our mob scene and try to make them feel welcome. With 25 very noisy people, some of the go away a bit dazed by it all. LOL


The day after Christmas, I started coughing. Talk about deja vu. The same darned thing happened last year and I ended up at the doctor's office. I am self-medicating for the most part this time. The cough is the worst. One of those dry, hacky kind that come in spasms. I can be sitting quietly. Suddenly, the coughing starts and goes on till I start choking and can't get my breath. Sometimes dry heaves accompany all this. Ugh. Oh well. This too shall pass as they say. Whoever "they" are.

I did have a quiet New Year's Eve after all. Just what I wanted. In fact, I didn't even turn the TV on till about 10 minutes till midnight. I was on the computer earlier in the evening. Then, I read. I just wanted quiet. I watched the ball drop in Times Square and gave a thankful prayer that I wasn't in that crushing mass of humanity. Some of those people had been camped curbside since Dec. 30. And it was bitter cold, for gosh sakes! But all those bazillion people were trying to get out of Times Square immediately after midnight. I'll bet that was something. It was good to see Dick Clark at his old stand. He's recovered quite a bit of function since his stroke. His speech and one side of his face are affected, but I was proud to see him there. His wife came running into the scene just after midnight and they were kissing like a couple of teenagers. Cute

No comments: