Monday, July 12, 2010

Time Flies

I can't believe it's been 8 months since I last posted. It's not as though nothing has gone on in my life. Sort of hit or miss. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes too much.

I developed an abscess on my lower abdomen the end of February and had emergency surgery the evening of the day I saw my family doctor. It was a staph infection. Due to one thing or another, I spent just short of 2 weeks in the hospital. Went home with a PICC line and Wound Vac. 3 days after coming home, I broke out in a rash. That turned out to be a drug reaction to the nafcillin that was being poured in through the PICC. Infection doctor changed me to doxycycline and removed the PICC. Hooray. Next day, I had to call 911 as I was going into anaphylaxis shock. I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Just knew I was about to pass out. Another 2 days in hospital having all sorts of fun tests.

Then, 6 weeks or so of visiting nurses who came to check my vitals and re-dress the wound. Toward the end, the wound got small enough that I didn't need the vac anymore. My wonderful granddaughter, Shannon, stepped up to the plate and packed with it with gauze every day until I didn't need even that. It was a hairy 2 months and I still don't have the stamina I'd like to have.



Enough of that and on to good news. On May15, my oldest grandson and his wife presented the family with a new baby girl.  Her name is Esther Joy.  She is adorable, of course.  Aren't all babies?  Proving that she is kin to her father's side of the family, she was 10 days late.  I think mom Jess gave up answering the phone as she was heartily tired of people asking why she hadn't had that kid yet.  Poor Jess.  But she bounced back just fine and looked great on family vacation.  Big brother Elijah is in love with his baby sister even if she can't throw a ball yet.









   Hike to Swallow Falls in MD.




July 3 took us to Thomas West Virginia and the bluegrass bar The Purple Fiddle.  We always sit out on the terrace so we can watch the fireworks across the small canyon.  (No, I didn't take this picture.  I should be so lucky!)  Thomas has one of the best displays I've ever seen.  And I've seen some big city ones.  The local fire department puts them on.  There are only 2 streets in/out of Thomas.  High street goes east; Low street goes west.  The firefighters were taking up a collection at either end of town.  Our guys were collecting in a firefighter's boot.   The Purple Fiddle doesn't charge early in the evening.  Come about 7:30. they go around to collect a $10 cover charge for the bluegrass bands.  So, we sat under the stars on a perfect night, ate/drank, watched fireworks and listened to some pretty good bluegrass.  Watching 2 1/2 year-old Elijah enjoy the fireworks was well worth the cover charge.  He loved them.  He would yell and throw his arms up in the air for nearly every one.  2 1/2 year old Brady was way less thrilled.  He and his parental units left early.  3  year old Sophie enjoyed them up to a point.  Then, it was her bedtime and she was ready to hit the road.


Each night a different family, cooked a hot meal.  Except for one night of a delicious meal at the lodge and the night we went to Thomas.  Had some good eats, I must say.  I made fresh salsa on our night.  Phyllis & the girls made a taco salad buffet.  The last night, Lisa put the big pot in the little one and made one of her amazing salads and a soup that contained leftovers and other things we didn't eat during the week.  She called it Sort Of Italian Wedding Soup.  It was delicious.



Unfortunately, all good things must end.  We came home to furnace hot temps of 100F in Lancaster PA.  Ugh.  It's hard to believe I was raised on the Gulf Coast in Texas.  Didn't like heat then.  Really don't like it now.  Oh well.  Fall comes shortly after Labor Day.

If you haven't been on vacation yet, I hope you have a good one.  Drive safely and play heartily.

Margaret

No comments: