Thursday, February 21, 2008

Knitting Up A Storm



I've been doing a bit of knitting this month. After a 27 year hiatus from knitting, I've taken it up again with a vengence. Thanks to Karen Mason and her blog at http://threadsfromkaren.blogspot.com/ She's the sort of person who can get me in trouble as whatever she's doing looks like something I absolutely have to try also. LOL And thank heavens for her. I've pretty much given up quilting due the essential tremors in my hands. Well, I guess I have it all over my body but that's where I notice it. For some reason, I can knit just fine. TG I learned a few crafts when I was younger.


That's not to say I'm no longer learning. Holy Smokes! There's all sorts of information all over the Internet. Blogs, YouTube, My Space, web pages, etc. There's free patterns. I can order yarn off the Net and not have to be overwhelmed in a small, cramped shop where, not only can I not see what's available, but I can't even make up my mind. The same thing happens to me at quilt shows. I get overcome by all the sights in the vendors area and don't buy even an inch of fabric. Ridiculous, isn't it? But there you are. I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.


I found a pattern for fingerless gloves on the Net. In this case, they are fingerless mittens. I made them from wool worsted and they are soooo warm! Olivia saw them and wanted a pair in black for Rugby. She claimed it would be easier to managed the ball if her hands weren't cold. So, I whipped out a pair in black. She loves them and says they do, indeed, keep her hands warm. Kimberly saw them last week and wanted a pair. I took her to AC Moore so she could pick her yarn. She originally wanted black, but picked a variegated in sort of tweed colors. They turned out very nicely.


Now, I'm tired of making the mitts for the time being. I've learned a lot with them. How to a gusset is made, how to knit in the round using 2 circular needles or 1 circular needle. Which is good because double pointed needles are impossible for me to use due to the shakes. I do use them to make i-cord, but even that's hard.


I've started adding some knitting sites that I enjoy over to the right. One of them that I would like to push for the moment are the knitted helmet liners. The very thing that got me back into knitting. I've made 3, so far. LOL I seem to be doing things in 3's. This site has the instructions for making helmet liners and scarves. Plus the address on where to send them. There is a link to a picture so you can see what you're aiming for. Also links to patterns for making neck gators and neck coolers.


I got a new bed a couple weeks back. I was stunned when I saw how high it was. Way above my nightstands. I also need to pole vault into it at night. I like to sit up in bed to read, watch tv and knit. It's a real struggle to get in position. I finally decided to call Sleepy's to see what could be done. I only had 21 days to exchange it if that's what I wanted. The upshot was that they are ordering a low profile box springs for me. They claim this will bring the bed down about 3.5-4 inches. That would be perfect. And, because the salesman didn't do something he was supposed to do, they are splitting the difference on the delivery costs. Hooray! I just hope the thing gets here soon. I had no idea that beds had gotten so high and no idea why. It sure leaves us height challenged types swinging in the wind.



No comments: