Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mail Bonanza



I was sitting quietly doing a bit of knitting when I heard a vehicle out front. Bella went ballistic. So, I knew it was a delivery person. Turned out to be Joe, my mail guy. I was expecting some Crocs I ordered the other day. The real deal. Not the fake ones. They are still in the "sortation" depot of FedEx somewhere deep in Wisconsin. Apparently, sortation is a new buzz word among delivery folk. I noticed it on the USPS page also.

Anyway, he dropped off 3 packages. None of them my Crocs. I got 3 Karen Rose books that I had won in a New Year's Eve contest. I just had an email from her this morning apologizing for not getting them to me sooner. Not a problem. Her books are the kind I don't read after it gets dark-thirty. Scary. I also got a Taste of Home Comfort Food cookbook. I forgot I ordered that. I must have been needing some comfort food that day to have ordered it. Like I can't get any old recipe I want off the Internet. Including Chicken Fried Steak. Hooray. The 3rd package contained 3 skeins of Lion Brand yarns "Lion Cotton" in Sage. It turned out to be a loverly shade. I found a crochet pattern for a market bag and thought I'd try my hand at making one. If it turns out OK and goes fairly quickly, I may whip some up for the family women for Christmas or just because.

Or, if you were ever a Pogo fan, Decimation Day. We used to celebrate Decimation Day in my family when we read Pogo and until all the people who celebrated it died. I should revive it. If you don't remember Pogo or know what Decimation Day is, I'll tell you. Pogo was a wonderful cartoon drawn by the late Walt Kelly. They live in a swamp people with (crittered with?) some delightful characters. I Googled Pogo and Wikipedia has a much better description of the strip and it's history than I could ever give. Wiki does't mention Decimation Day, but it's any day you choose to celebrate. Any day, several times. I can't remember exactly why the Okeechobee swamp folk celebrated it. In my family, we would give someone a gift that wasn't a birthday/holiday gift. We would say it was for Decimation Day. That way the recipient couldn't protest that we shouldn't have.

BTW, Pogo Possum is most famous for saying "We have met the enemy and he is us." Dr. Joyce Brothers mistakenly credited Charlie Brown for this, but not so.

LOL More than you ever wanted to know about a comic strip or my snail mail.

I'm off to pick up my Girl Scout cookies from my favorite Girl Scout. Olivia is having a blast at Penn State where she is attending a rugby camp for the weekend. Mom is having empty nest feelings.

No comments: