Friday, March 27, 2009

Audio Books & My Library


I joined Audible a couple of days ago as they seem to be the only audible books place on-line that I can find. . My Garmin GPS has MP3 capabilities and I love listening to books while I drive. I think their monthly fee is a bit steep since they charge for audio books in addition. I signed up for the 3 cheapie months and got 2 unabridged books. I hate, loathe & despise abridged ones.

As I was surfing for other audio book sites yesterday, I came across OverDrive. They set up public libraries with their software & programs so that patrons can borrow audio books from a virtual library. You don’t buy them as on audible.com. You are borrowing them just as if you walked into the mortar & brick building & there is a time limit. I checked it out and went thru the tutorial. I discovered that my library just got this service in Dec. Limited to audio books now, they will be doing e-books later. Right now, they need to work on getting more audio books into the virtual library.

One big plus is that you are not limited to sitting at the computer to read/listen to the books. You can burn them to a CD or off-load them onto some other device. Like your i-Pod or other MP3, a GPS that has audio book capabilities, maybe even your cell phone. You can get all this info at the OD web site. Be sure and sit thru the whole tutorial. It's very informative and can be referred to again if you get confused about how to get books.

I was beyond excited! Now, I want to find out if this will apply to InterLibrary loans. On the OverDrive
site you can check to see if your local library has this program in place.

I have now signed up through my local library, downloaded the OverDrive console software and chosen a couple of books. The first book is boring and I won't mention the name. It's non-fiction. I don't know what I was thinking there.

For my 2nd book, I decided to choose an old friend. One I haven't read in many years but have seen the various film versions. Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". Think Colin Firth here. THE Mr. Darcy.
It's grand to be read to by a lovely feminine British voice. For now, I'm listening to it in WMA as my computer chair is the most comfortable place for me to do yarn work. Keeps my back straight.

No comments: