Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Storm Damage

I just got new siding put on the back of my house a couple of weeks ago. It's gorgeous. Makes it look like a brand new place. This past Saturday March 8, we had some awful storms with high winds. Which produced the usual downed power lines, trees, no power for hours on end, etc. The rain went thru fairly quickly, but the winds lasted all night.

Comcast had been knocked of use. Which meant no tv, no Internet and no phone. TG for cell phones. Not that I needed to talk to anybody. It was just comforting to know I could reach the outside world if need be. I was doing a bit of knitting and listening to the winds howling. I could hear thing banging against the side of the house. Against the new siding. I wasn't sticking my nose out there. I didn't go out Sunday either. It was freezing cold and the winds were still blowing.

Yesterday, I drove up the Texas Eastern Pipeline to have a look. Yikes! Half the rain gutter was in the yard and another umpteen feet were on the roof. It also looks like some of the roof was pried up. The water heater is accessed from the outside in my mobile home. It's at the very end of the house next to the master bathroom. I thought I heard something banging there, also. Turns out the winds ripped the door off and flung it far. Also, the year-ol water heater is tilting at a funny angle. I called the insurance company. Joe at State Farm told me to call whoever I need to repair. I called Howard of H&M. They specialize in mobile home repairs. Trust me, those guys are hard to come by. Especially ones that have been in business for awhile and know what they're doing. Howard may be curt but he knows his beans. He's coming tomorrow afternoon to give me a quote. Now, if I can scout up the $500 deductible. I have a feeling I won't be going on family vacation this summer. Oh well.


We went to the first HYA volleyball game of the season last night. It's not run by the high school, but they make the gym available to the youth association for those kids who aren't on a high school team. They play just for fun. There are only 5 on Olivia's team. She and Andrea and 3 boys. The girls were the only ones on their team to wear their t-shirts. It's University of Texas orange. The 3 games went by quickly and we were out of there in less than an hour. I enjoyed it and got to play with my new camera. I love the setting where I can play papparazzi. I just hold the button down and the camera takes pictures till I release. Cool beans! Here is one shot of Olivia spiking the ball:


On the knitting front, I am just about done with the Tudora neck warmer. I'm starting to think Christmas presents now. I know it's only March but knitting takes awhile and I have a gi-normous family. The Tudora has turned out rather nicely. If I make another one, I'm going to run the cable edge to edge. The author stops the cable when she begins to bind off for the front edge. I don't see the reason for that. My neck warmer is almost the same color as shown but I didn't plan it that way. I just happened to have some Debbie Bliss yarn and used that.

No comments: