Friday, March 28, 2008

This 'N That


I'm finally biting the bullet and delving into the mysterious world of socks. <:- I picked up a book called 1001 Designer One-Skein Wonders and found a pair of socks in it that I think I can handle. Nothing fancy. Just basic K & P. I finally got the Cascade yarn from the folks in Indiana a couple of weeks back. I love it. It's red. So the socks will be for me, naturally. It's Cascade 220 Fiji. I love the way it feels. I also ordered a couple of Addi 40" circulars in sizes that I think I'll use the most in circular knitting. A pair of 5 and 7. These socks called for 5. I've gotten the first 2 rows done. Then, I thought it would be a good idea to copy the pattern so that I can encase it in plastic and be able to read the instructions more easily that if I have to find them in the book every time I look down. These Addis really knit nicely and feel good. And I really like the cable.

I've made up 3 baby hats for my pile I will someday donate to the hospital. I'd like to have 8-10 before I do give them. Last night, I also finished the gray neck gator. It's supposed to be for the troops but I think I'm going to try it out Sunday when we do to the rugby game down in New Windsor MD. I don't know yet if I'll wear it or let Phyllis. I hope that it's warmer than predicted. We'll see. You know my thoughts on ball fields and the wind/temp ratios. LOL

I notice a few green things poking up. Hyacinths from some that DIL Lisa gave me 10 years ago when I had some surgery. Daffys and tulips that were here when I came. My lilac and rhododendron bushes are swelling their buds enormously. I've thought about ordering another butterfly bush or two. I doubt I'll ever be down on the ground to garden again. Flowering bushes would do the trick, don't you think? I have purple now. I need to see what other colors are available. Then find a kid to plant them.

Many of the Canada Geese have gone on their way North from here now. A goodly number stay, but not near the numbers that travel on. Last month, there were thousands around. The evening sky was very noisy. Probably the morning sky too, but I wasn't up at that time to be listening. Another thing I saw several fields of nearby were Snow Geese. They filled a couple of fields and were breathtaking. Later, I read that they were having a bumper crop of them up at the Middlecreek Wildlife Preserve. They stop there on the way North, also. I haven't been up there in some time. Maybe I'll take the kids up for a picnic this summer.


I had a wonderful surprise this past Tuesday, March 25. My step-son, Phil, and his wife, Amy, invited me to have lunch with them and their new son, Brady, at the Lancaster Brewing Company. I was to meet them at 11:30. Luckily for us, that's opening time. I got there first and got a table for 4. They arrived soon after. After we chatted a bit, Amy gave me an odd look and said "We have a surprise for you". I looked up and there were my step-daughter, Jenn, and her 3 kids. Brett, Derek & Cassie!
I screamed! I was so excited. They have just moved back to the East coast from the Seattle area. I was totally clueless that they were coming to lunch. It seems everybody in the family but me knew. LOL Well, maybe Jenn's mom, Grace, didn't know. I'm sure she wanted the fun of surprising her also.


So, a good time was had by all and a super lunch in a place I'd been wanting to go. It won't be the last time I go there. I had a delicious Reuben sandwich. Also, a White Bean Chili. That was outstanding and I may have to go down just to get that to bring home one day. Thanks for lunch, gang. And the great company. I love you all.

No comments: